In a day where there is an APP for EVERYTHING - somethings are still best learned in the real world. Here are our TOP 10 Life Skills we recommend every teen know - and LEARN in the real world.
- BUDGET: Teens need to know how to handle money and keep track of it.
- HOUSING: Where are they going to live when they leave home and how are they going to afford it?
- COOKING: Teach your teen how to cook 5 basic meals before they leave home and they won't need to resort to Ramen and powdered donuts for all their meals.
- LAUNDRY: Save your teen money. Teach them how to wash their clothes so they don't ruin them.
- WORK ETHICS: Help them understand how to behave in an adult working environment.
- CAR MAINTENANCE: Have them learn the basic auto care and how to inspect and register their car.
- TIME MANAGEMENT: We all have the same number of hours in the day, it is how we use them that makes the difference. Create goals to help you accomplish them.
- FEED YOUR MIND: Help them become life-long learners
- Self-Defense: There are bad guys in the world. Does your teen know how to defend themselves?
- CONSIDER YOUR FUTURE: A Goal without a plan is just a wish - Antoine de Saint-Exupery. Help your teen see their potential and plan for it.
Now, this list is not exhaustive - just the tip of the iceberg, but hopefully, it gives you a running start on the journey to teaching your kids to not only survive but THRIVE in the real world.
If the idea of teaching your teen these skills and others seem a little daunting, don't worry, it seemed daunting to us too! That's why we created Life 101. We want homeschool teens to be Life 101 Pro's before they leave home. We know you are the best teacher for your teen, but if you want help along the way - We have an online class that covers these and other skills on a deeper level - you can learn more here. We also have an e-mail list that will send you a new life skill to teach your teen every week!
You've got this! We are just here to help!
With you on the journey,